Saturday 23 April 2011

The Brown Mound of Sound! Brian McKnight


Another one of the most under rated artists around graced the Indig02, London in December.
Brian McKnight holds the record for having received 16 nominations without winning a single one.

The voice behind a lot of the all time heartbreak-cry-your-eyes-out-feeling-sorry-for-yourself music started his career in 1992, and although he has been successful, he still remains under rated, but nonetheless highly appreciated by lovers of real, heartfelt lyrics.
The man of the moment has females (and worryingly, males!) of all ages screaming when he opened up the show with Find Myself in You. He wore a muscle clinging t-shirt that reminded ladies, although he may not be as young as Trey Songz, you must remember where Trey got it from!
It’s no surprise that he felt comfortable being on the stage although he has been away from the UK for a hot minute. He reminded me of that cool uncle that you see at wedding that is always just so smooth with it! Still doing his two-step, simple but so contagious dance moves, showing that he's still got it!
That may have been his objective for this show, and he definitely exceeded vocally when he performed what I have prematurely quoted as my wedding song Only One for Me.
UNLIKE, MusicSoulChild he did not ruin the song, but enhanced its beauty and made me visualise myself going the isle (even though it may be no time soon)!






...AND he mixed it with 1000 Kisses! Getting the crowd on their feet and sharing the mic with the front row of the audience. He also did an emotional, heartfelt version of She's Out of My Life complete with a beautiful back drop of Michael Jackson and a very acoustic version of Sexual Healing.
He was VERY appreciative of his band, and to the audience. One lucky lady called Simone (Imagine- the girl had the cheek to use my name!) was "brought" up onto the stage (you know sometimes how these girls are pre-picked) and greeted with an arrangement of flowers and serenaded by the man himself as he sung an extraordinary beautiful song Another You. This is the same song that he sung as he proposed to his girlfriend on Valentine’s Day of this year.
Personally, if I was his fiancĂ©, wouldn’t like if he serenaded a fan in the same way- but hey, this blog isn't about that!


What I applaud him on, is his versatile performance attribute! Not only is his voice impeccable- he sat down on the keys, played and sang, and also took over a bass guitar!
So, not only is he a multi talented, but he passed on his talents on his off spring and took a back seat as they graced the stage.


Not many people would do this, but willing played the bass and the piano as they performed Why Can’t She Be More Like You, and also allowed them to do their own tracks.
His son was more than eager to please as he got off stage and walked into the audience, just to be close to his audience. Now, I’ve never seen an artist do that, so I was highly impressed.
Of course Brian McKnight did his classics, including Anytime, Still the One and 6,8,12. Although he didn't do You Should Be Mine, I'm very glad I didn’t miss it.

2 comments:

  1. tony said...
    Awwww I wish I would have went man!
    You seem 2have been everywhere this week-- what's the deal?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you've started to be more personal with ur blog- I feel like I know u now!
    I can imagine u wanted 2be that girl!
    You had great seats aswell- fantastic!

    ReplyDelete