Sunday 24 April 2011

The Script Concert, 25th March 2011

Being a music journalist, I've learnt to appreciate all types of music. So, contrary to some ignorant beliefs, I am in more than just bashment, R&B and Rap *shock horror*

Certain moods drive me to different genres, so when I’m walking home from work and wanna make noise tryna reach the high notes when walking through the subway, the Script is usually the first on my playlist!
Admittedly, I wasn't hooked when they first came on the scene with We Cry in 2008, because, to be honest, it was a little bland, and it took longer than a while for the song to grow on me. However towards the end of the year The Script became more than just that-other-Irish-band, they had coined their mark in indie music by ending their year on a high and becoming an award winning success.

So naturally, going where the music takes me, I go to my box at the 02 Arena, just as the Script got on stage.

The atmosphere in the 02 was absolutely electric! Fans had banners from pillar to post, face painting, and patriotic symbols - because we know London probably has the same amount of Irish citizens as Ireland!


Live Like We're Dying opened up the show and had the crowd going wild - flags flying, girls screaming and Guinness' opening!

Lead singer, Danny O'Donoghue made sure he made a real connection with his audience. Talking about his inspirations to write particular songs, which ones meant the most to him, what he was going through when we wrote Before the Worst. All of which really explained the tone of the album.

He was very engaging; he got into the crowd, as far as security would let him, taking phones and cameras so his fans could get the best footage.
Personally, as great as it was, I was expecting more of a shout-the-words-with-me, air-guitar-solo and guitar smashing performance! I wanted to shout the words at the top of my lungs and sing along to songs I loved, with words I didn't know, with my arms wrapped around a strangers shoulders! But I guess The Script are too cool for that!

The best part of the show, ironically, contained the most annoying climax.

I understand the need to build up the anticipation of their final performance of the night, but whoever made up the unwritten rule that acts should pretend go off stage, only to come back on again, should be stoned! It creates an anti climax, and for anyone over 21 years old, it is slightly roll-my-eyes, do-they-still-do-this? moment.


As I was in the box, my camera footage isn't as great as it could be (- well, that and maybe the cider that I had in the other hand). But it shows the artistic integrity of the atmosphere, and as a journalist, and not a photographer, this is what we try to create.





No comments:

Post a Comment