Wednesday 27 April 2011

The Younger Brothers - an Angie LeMar adaptation. FairField Halls


In 2006, LeMar produced The Brothers which was showcased in the Hackney Theatre and became the fastest selling show and box office sell out since the theatre's showing of Hamlet.
Four years forward, aspiring director Natasha Cox and her team amended the script and re-crafted the piece, birthing The Younger Brothers.

This adaptation, to be set in East London University, as opposed to East London, Docklands, follows the lives of three young men, finding themselves in love, in problems and in trouble, coupled with betrayal and deceit.

Aaron Fontaine, Mikel Ameen and Travis Jay were the chosen actors that were put forward to personalise characters previously played by Chuky Venice, MC Harvey and Jason Barrett. This allowed the actors, to erase the stigmas attached to the previous character and give them the creative license to drive in another direction of the play. Alongside starred upcoming, award-winning actresses Kyla Frye, Elizabeth Kareklas, Annabell Nartey and Elysha Myton.

As this was a press reading, there was no elaborate staging, effective use of lighting or levels used. This was simply a showcase of the beginning works of a creative piece that was out, birthing potential. The intimate crowd consisted of editors, funders, organisation leaders and close family and friends of those taking part.

Usually, a press reading is, quite literally, the actors reading from the script to give the audience a brief overview of the concept; surprisingly however, regardless of six days rehearsals, the Thespians had down-pacted their characters so much, they were able, not not only learn the script, but unlearn, revise and rebirth the characters.

"It took a while for me to make this character my own" explains Travis Jay, "watching the production of the original so many times, I had already known my lines , by observation alone, so learning wasn't the hard part, it was learning them for myself and creating my own character, rather than producing what had already been done, was the hard part."

Throughout the viewing, this was evident. The cast has personalized their characters very well through, what is considered as a very short time of character development. During my own studies of Drama and Theatrical studies, being an actor is not just being able to remember lines and attach a feeling. It's about being able to make fiction a reality. (I'm about to go into theatre mode, so i'll stop here about that lol)

"Im nothing like my character, she was her own person, I had to learn her, but her in different situations, know her background, from her heritage, what type of education she had, how her past relationships had an effect on the one that you can see in the play - My job is to make sure that this information comes across through my character".

That it did! Mylton's character, Sonia, had to be my favourite, and she was probably my favourite actress of the night! Her tone of voice was on point, her centre of energy was apparent and rightly so, Sonia was someone that everybody knew. You know that person who just can't sense the tone, doesn't know how to talk in delicate situations? - Yup!

As I said, it wasn't a full blown theatre performance, but with six well, trained actors potential is brought from the power of the pen.

Angie Le Mar stood proud as she examined her work, taken into someone else's hand.
"It took a lot of trust, but sometimes, that's what it takes. Watching that made me feel like Shakespeare". I'm very proud".

The Younger Brothers is due to be in full production and on tour in the summer. Watch this space! You cant see the play just yet, but you know how I like to tease:


5 comments:

  1. Seeing all the promo for this show has got me all excited! I can't wait. This blogger was really paying attention. What's center of energy, is that an actor thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yooo - the team are going IN! I can't wait to see the play in full - when's the real play happening?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a couple of these actors before so them coming together must be a good show. You can see how much fan it must have been to perform this, all the smiles in the pic! Love the trailer too! Good Work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your work, It's good that you've separated the entertainment from the poetry! When's the blog of the single women coming out!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you write, the personal touch is much better than the formal way you write, not that I dont like it!

    ReplyDelete