Saturday 23 April 2011

Yolanda Brown


Following last numerous sold out events, saxophonist YolanDa Brown returns to the prestigious venue with another unique live concert. After YEARS of pining for Yolanda Browns close to my ears, Black Grape marked 19th November as a date to remember!
Even though I was late, thank you Jubilee Line! I walked into The Indig02, missing the opening acts (hbdsagbgdahdjniqsnb!) but into the sultry sounds of Brown's rendition of Unthinkable.
I love her renditions of R&B songs; they make you appreciate the element of real music. Conversely, I also like her original material. In Footsteps, her saxophone played musical riffs over her band. Her band of distinguished musicians harmonised with the moodful lighting, from midnight purple to racing red for her salsa infused Fela.
Other favourites included her original Polish Jerk and her mix of Wait in Vain and my favourite, Lost Without You.
Parts of her concert was almost like a private jamming session, because she was so intune with her band, and not to mention her BV's. Now....

I'm a sucker for a man with a voice, I can't lie. But what I dont like, is a BV that tries to outshine the headliner... SIT DARNN MATE! The middle vocalist was trying to outsing the others, which was really pointless because the other two slaughtered him with a few lines from Indigo Girls Summertime. Especially that first singer... my goodness. We know that BV's are usually under rated, but just from a few words he had standing ovations.

But, what I loved the most, was the atmosphere that she brung to the room. Unlike Musiq SoulChild, she displayed a clear passion for her talent, taking time to speak about why learning to play was so important to her. She smiled and laughed her way through her whole show and her heavenly atmosphere echoed into the crowd.

Now, I’ve already, said to one of her managers, that I am having Yolanda, + full love band at my wedding. Don’t hold your breath, I don’t know when that will be, but I’m booking her from now, because she is much unrated and is sure to blow up very soon.



Special thanks to my boy, Charlie Kenny

1 comment:

  1. Miss Soulstress5 May 2011 at 14:07

    Hey Symone, I'm really feeling your blog. Love the post. Come check out my blog and follow "With Peaceful Minds Great Ideas Flow....)

    Keep doing what your doing. Caroline (aka) SoulStress

    ReplyDelete